According to UK law all employers must ensure the health and safety of all employees while at work. This means ensuring everyone is properly trained, and in an environment where they can safely carry out the duties required by their job.
If an employer fails in this duty, then accidents can occur. If an employee was to become injured due to the negligence of their employer, then they may be entitled to make a Mountain Ash accident at work claim.
No employee should have to make a Mountain Ash accident at work claim
In an ideal world, all employers would not only be aware of all their responsibilities, but they would also make sure they adhere to them all. Unfortunately many employers are either completely unaware of their responsibilities, or are aware and still don’t do anything.
Here are just a few of the duties laid out by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) an employer should perform to ensure a safe workplace for their employees:
- All walkways are free from obstruction and all spillages are cleaned up. This helps to avoid creating a situation where an employee could suffer a slip, trip, or fall.
- All employees should be aware of all the emergency procedures, and fire drills should be carried out regularly.
- Employees should know who the designated first aid person is.
- Any machinery and tools that require maintenance must be properly maintained, all safety guards must be in place and used.
- All workplaces should have a health and safety manual that is available to all employees.
- Every workplace must have an accident book to record any injuries.
- Every employee who performs duties requiring protective clothing, must be supplied with the required protective clothing free of charge.
- All accidents must be recorded in the company’s accident book, with any serious injuries being reported to the Health and Safety Executive also.
Due to the efforts of the HSE in raising awareness and implementing penalties, many more companies now operate their health and safety procedures properly, and as a result we have seen a consistent reduction in Mountain Ash accident at work claims.
If you need to make a Mountain Ash accident at work claim for compensation
If you were injured in an accident through no fault of your own in the last 3 years, then you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation. If you are unsure whether you’re entitled to make a claim, then you can either call Accident Advice Helpline’s freephone telephone number, or use the 30-second test on our website, to find out exactly where you stand.
Accident Advice Helpline has been helping the victims of personal injury to get the compensation they deserve for over 14 years. We have in-house specialists in every area of personal injury claims who are all experienced professionals. Call Accident Advice Helpline free on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone.
Date Published: 3rd October 2014