How to avoid a car accident on a road with potholes
Although most local authorities will keep a strong eye on the roads to make sure that driving conditions are always safe, you may still come across a road from time to time which has uneven surfaces, or lots of potholes.
Here at Accident Advice Helpline we’re here to help you.
Here are some helpful tips and our contact details:
- Look out for potholes. You are more likely to be injured, cause an accident, or have damage done to your car with potholes if you are not looking out for them. This is because you will hit them at speed, and not adjust your driving to the state of the road. Always keep an eye out for uneven roads and potholes.
- Slow down. If you must go over a pothole, slow right down so that the hole doesn’t cause significant damage to your car.
- Go around. If the road is clear enough that you can avoid a larger pothole, then do so, as it is not worth your while trying to go over a pothole if you can avoid it.
- Keep your distance. Make sure that there is plenty of distance between you and the car in front so that you can see potholes before they are directly in front of you.
- Park to inspect damage. If you think that your car has sustained damage from a pothole, wait and park it somewhere safe before you stop the car and get out. If you stop where you are and get out to look you could easily be involved in an accident.
Making a Moray car accident claim
If you do have a Moray car accident which was caused by the condition of the road, it may be possible to claim compensation against the local authority.
This can be one of the more difficult types of compensation claims to make, as the authority will no doubt fight it every step, and it may be difficult to prove that your Moray car accident or the damage to your car was caused by the condition of the road.Open Claim Calculator
It is best to use an experienced personal injury lawyer to represent you in this type of claim, as they will have a better chance of making a successful claim on your behalf.
Call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 to discuss your Moray car accident with the team, who will be able to make a start on your claim on your behalf if they feel that you have a good case.