Many a Merthyr Tydfil road accident claim is blamed on driver fatigue. It is in actual fact one of the most common causes of RTAs here in the UK, accounting for up to 1 in 5 road accidents and 1 in 4 serious or fatal RTA injuries.
Effects of tiredness
Driving when feeling fatigued is dangerous. It affects a driver’s ability in the following ways:
- Reduces reaction time
- Reduces alertness
- Reduces concentration
- Results in poorer decision making
Many people think that they will be able to fight their tiredness, and carry on driving regardless. However its a risky business. They stand the chance of falling asleep at the wheel, which could have disastrous consequences, not only for themselves but for any passengers they may be carrying, or any other road users they may encounter.
Common causes driver fatigue
The many causes of driver fatigue include things like:
- Long journeys
- Monotonous roads i.e. motorways
- Between the hours of 2am to 6am and 2pm to 4pm
- After eating a heavy meal
- After drinking alcohol
- Using medication which causes drowsiness
- Driving after a poor night’s sleep
- After working long hours or a strenuous job
Ways of avoiding fatigue setting in
To try and avoid driver fatigue setting in, and to minimise the chances of having to raise a Merthyr Tydfil road traffic accident claim you should:Open Claim Calculator
- Avoid driving if you feel tired. Rest or have a nap, then start your journey
- When on a long journey, take regular breaks to freshen up
- If you feel tired, stop in a safe place i.e. service station and rest up
- Avoid driving late at night, when you will naturally be less alert
- If feeling tired, have a couple of cups of coffee
- Have a window slightly open for fresh air
Remember that both drugs and alcohol can have a huge effect on energy levels and alertness. Also remember that many over the counter and prescription medicines can cause drowsiness. Be especially careful when taking cold/flu remedies and allergy medication. Make sure you read the labels of any medications carefully before taking them and driving.
Claiming compensation with Merthyr Tydfil road traffic accident claim specialists
Accident Advice Helpline is a reputable and well established law firm who could help you claim compensation if you believe the accident you were involved in was not your fault and was due to the liable party being tired or falling asleep at the wheel.
Call us today and speak to one of our friendly advisers about your Merthyr Tydfil road traffic accident claim on 0800 689 0500 from your landline, or on 0333 500 0993 from your mobile.
The sooner you launch your claim the sooner you could be receiving your financial compensation. So why not get in touch today?