A Mansfield accident at work claim is sometimes made because a victim has been burned or scalded in their job in a kitchen. Kitchens can be dangerous places to work, not only can hot things be a problem, sharp blades also cause many injuries in kitchens and lead to employees making a Mansfield accident at work claim.
Kitchen accidents that can be the reason for a Mansfield accident at work claim
Someone working in a kitchen that has not been properly trained in how to use the utensils and equipment can be a danger to everyone as well as to themselves. Kitchens, although not the only place by any means, are the most common place for burns and scalds to happen and they happen very easily.
- Burns are from dry heat and can be because of a victim coming into contact with a hot piece of equipment or part of their clothing catching light from a naked flame as just two examples.
- Scalds are from wet heat and can be caused by hot liquid being spilled on a victim, or by steam being given off by cooking pots.
The varying degrees of burns and scalds
Burns and scalds are classified into varying degrees, to show their severity.
- 1st degree burns are really burns to the surface of the skin. These burns do not blister, but usually are very red and painful.
- 2nd degree burns go deeper, usually burning away the top layer of skin and blistering. The blisters can be a danger on their own and it is very important they are kept clean so they do not become infected. This type of burn can leave nasty scars for the victim, and sometimes plastic surgery or skin grafts are needed to aid their recovery.
- 3rd degree burns go so deep that they can burn away the nerves. This means that a victim of 3rd degrees burns can sometimes be in less pain than those with other burns. Unfortunately, because of the depth of these burns, they can result in an amputation if the limb is not treatable.
- 4th, 5th, and 6th degree burns are so severe that no one survives them and they are usually only mentioned at post-mortems or autopsies.
Preventing burns and scalds and having to make a Mansfield accident at work claim
It is the duty of the employer to protect the health and safety of their staff while they are at work and this applies to a kitchen as much as anyone else. Employers should do everything they can to prevent injuries of any sort, otherwise they may find the victim gets in touch with Accident Advice Helpline to make a personal injury claim.
We will ensure that every area of your accident and injury is looked at, so that you are awarded every penny of compensation you are entitled to.
You can contact us via one of our online options, or by calling our freephone helpline. Both ways will get you all the information you need to decide if you want to make a Mansfield accident at work claim.