How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • **Required

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Litigation friend

    100% No-Win No-Fee*

    Litigation friend

    If you decide to make a personal injury claim after your accident, there is a chance your claim could end up in court. In a court case, the claimant or defendant (the litigant) is legally allowed to represent themselves in court and a lawyer is not essential. However, the claimant is allowed to ask if they can bring a non-legally qualified adviser to court with them, or to request that this person be allowed to represent them in court. What do we call these representatives and advisers? Litigation friends.

    What is a litigation friend?

    If you are not using the services of a lawyer, then you are a Litigant in Person (LIP). You are able to request a litigation friend if the cost of hiring a lawyer is too expensive, or if this is your personal preference. In the cases of vulnerable people (for example under 18s and those with a mental health disability), a litigation friend is common.

    There are two types of litigation friend:

    McKenzie Friend – this person does not need to be an actual friend, and they will usually have training in or knowledge of law. They are allowed to:

    • Provide moral support
    • Help organise case paperwork
    • Take notes
    • Give discreet advice to the LIP regarding legal procedure and so on

    They cannot:

    • Question any witnesses or address the court
    • Act on the LIP’s behalf
    • Manage the case outside the court/act as the LIP’s agent

    Whilst you have no legal right to a McKenzie Friend, the court usually allows it, but you must write to them in advance to advise you would like assistance.

    Lay Representative – this is a person with no legal qualifications who can accompany you in court. They can:

    • Present the case to the court on your behalf (but you must be present when this happens)
    • They could be a spouse, partner, colleague or friend.

    If you are a protected person who is making a personal injury claim which ends up in court, you will normally need to complete a Certificate of Suitability of Litigation Friend form, to ensure that the person accompanying you is suitable.

    Do I have to go to court to get compensation?

    The good news is that most claims with Accident Advice Helpline never end up in court and we can process the majority of claims in full over the phone. You can get in touch with us to find out more about the claims process and whether you’re eligible to claim compensation after your accident by calling us on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.

    Category: Personal injury claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading name of Slater and Gordon UK Limited, a company registered in England & Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 125 446 327, registered office 50/52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance mediation activity.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.