How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Liability insurance

    Liability insurance and making your claim

    If you have had an accident or experienced an injury whilst in a public place which was not your fault, you may be eligible to make a claim against the liability insurance held by the person or organisation responsible for your injury. The person or company responsible for maintaining the public area should have taken out a public liability insurance policy to compensate members of the public for any harm they suffer on the property caused by their neglect, so your claim for compensation will be made against that insurance company.

    If your accident occurred on public property during the course of your employment, you may have a demand against your employer, depending on the circumstances. Take our 30-second test to find out if the injury you have suffered after being involved in an accident in a public place entitles you to make a public liability insurance compensation claim.

    Types of accidents

    Some of the most common public liability compensation claims include:

    • Slips or trips in supermarkets, shops, car parks, amusement parks and restaurants;
    • Injuries caused by dangerous footpaths or pavements, untreated ice and snow, potholes, tree roots, and steps or staircases in disrepair;
    • Injuries caused by sharp objects or objects falling from a height in a public place; and
    • Broken down fences or other obstructions to the highways or pavements, including unlit skips located on the highway at night, litter and rubbish bags creating a tripping hazard in walking areas, or badly parked vehicles partially obstructing the pavement.

    There are also many other circumstances in which you could be injured on public property. No matter your circumstances, if you would like some advice about whether you would be entitled to make a public liability accident compensation claim, just give us a call.

    When to claim on liability insurance

    To make a successful public liability insurance compensation claim, you would need to prove that another person was responsible for your personal injury. In the above cases, this would be the owner of the property where your accident happened.

    Open Claim Calculator

    To help your case, you should report the accident to the staff or owner at the time, make a note of your accident in the accident book if possible, take names and addresses of witnesses to the accident, and if possible take photographs of the area where the accident happened. In cases involving badly maintained pavements, it would be advisable to put a ruler or a coin such as a 10p or 50p piece standing upright beside the defect before you take the photograph to give an idea of depth and height of the defect in question.

    If you are intending to claim expenses as part of your compensation claim, such as prescription costs and travelling expenses, remember to keep receipts as evidence.

    If you have been injured following an accident in a public place, you may be able to make a public liability compensation claim. Contact Accident Advice Helpline by calling 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile phone and get started on making a claim today.

    Date Published: 16th September 2013

    Author: thewritersbarn

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.