While out enjoying the countryside on your bicycle, if the views distract you or another road user, the result can be a nasty accident. If it was not your fault, this could mean you need to use a Lewes law firm to claim compensation. It is not just motor vehicles that could cause the accident, though — you could hit a pothole or a bad road surface and be thrown from your cycle.
Things you can do to reduce the risks of injury and the need to use a Lewes law firm
As a cyclist on UK roads, you are very vulnerable to serious injury in the event of an accident. There are some things you can do to try and reduce the risks of accidents and injuries occurring:
- Wearing a well-fitting, good quality safety helmet will help protect your head from injury, brain injuries being one of the injuries that accounts for many of the deaths of cyclists;
- Wearing knee and elbow pads will help to protect your joints;
- Wearing good cycling shoes will help to prevent broken bones in your feet;
- Wearing bright clothing will make sure you are more visible to other road users;
- Keeping your cycle well maintained will make it less susceptible to malfunction;
- Learning the rules of the road will ensure you are aware of potential risks;
- Not riding next to another cyclist will make it easier for vehicles to overtake you, ensuring drivers do not get frustrated and take unnecessary risks; and
- If you are passing parked cars, leave enough room for the door to be opened without smashing into you.
Hopefully, these tips may save you from having to call Accident Advice Helpline to use our Lewes law firm.
The injuries that happen to cyclists
Cyclists have very little protection if they are involved in an accident, so their injuries tend to be of a serious nature. Examples of common injuries to cyclists include:
- Facial injuries;
- Broken bones;
- Road rash;
- Loss of limbs;
- Internal injuries;
- Dental injuries;
- Back and spine injuries; and
- Head and brain injuries.
Some of these injuries can alter the life of victims forever, so they need to be compensated for being put in this situation through no fault of their own.
Accident Advice Helpline can help you to claim your compensation
Accident Advice Helpline have been helping cyclists for over 14 years. We have handled many cases of personal injury compensation for bicycle riders, some of which have unfortunately been fatalities for which we have helped the bereaved families. Cyclists tend to be the least represented in personal injury claims, as they do not need the insurance that it is illegal for other roads users to be on the roads without.
We will make sure that any cyclist for whom we are making a claim is properly represented, and receives the compensation to which they are entitled if they have been injured through the actions of someone else.
Our advisors are friendly, professional, and compassionate — they will understand what you are going through, and will help you all they can. You can contact them on our freephone number, 0800 180 4123, without any obligation to proceed.
Date Published: 15th July 2014
Category: Location Posts