How to escape a sinking car after a car accident
A car accident is traumatic enough, and can cause serious injuries or even death. If you have a car accident around water, and find yourself in a car which is rapidly sinking then it is important that you know the best way to get out of the situation in order to save your life and the lives of your passengers.
Obviously it is best not to hit the water at all, but in some cases it is impossible to prevent hitting water in a car accident, and in this case you need to stay calm and do everything you can to exit the vehicle before it sinks altogether.
- Release your seatbelt. Speed is of the essence when you are trying to escape a sinking car, so the last thing you need is to be constrained. As soon as you realise that you are going into water, release your seatbelt.
- Open the windows. Although some studies posit that opening windows speeds up how fast the car sinks, you may find that the doors are almost impossible to open once there is enough water around the car.
- Remove head restraints if you have passengers. Remember that passengers in the back seats have an even more difficult time trying to escape out of the windows, so free up their passage.
- Get everyone to escape via the front windows. Although the front end is likely to sink faster, the front windows are much easier to escape from than the back windows.
- Push children out first. Even if they cannot swim, it is much easier to save a child in free water than one who is trapped inside the car. Remember that your car falling into the water will have attracted attention and that there may be people on the surface to help.
- Wait until the car is almost full of water to open doors. If you cannot get out of a window then the pressure will be too much to open a door until the car is almost full of water.
Legal representation in Waveney
After your car accident, if you have sustained injuries and believe that the accident was the fault of another driver, you are entitled to claim compensation from them to pay for medical treatment, any damage to your vehicle, and even the emotional trauma of the situation. Of course, in order to do this, you may want to access legal representation in Waveney.
Accident Advice Helpline has over 15 years experience with personal injury compensation claims, and we have experienced personal injury lawyers who will be able to work on your behalf to get you the compensation you deserve. Because these lawyers work on your behalf, the stress of the compensation process is reduced, making it easier on you after a car accident.
To find out more about accessing legal representation in Waveney, call us on 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.
Date Published: 12th June 2014
Author: David Brown