According to statistics from the Health and Safety Executive, slips, trips and falls account for over a third of all serious workplace injuries. They also account for over half of all injuries to members of the public each year.
Common causes of slips, trips and falls
The main causes of slips, trips and falls in the working environments are:
- Uneven floor surfaces;
- Inappropriate floor coverings;
- Slippery floors;
- Trailing cables;
- Poor lighting; and
- Bad housekeeping.
Preventing slips, trips and falls
Employers have a legal and moral duty to protect their employees and visitors from slips, trips and falls. To ensure the safety of the working environment, the HSE recommends that all employers adopt a five-step slip, trip and fall risk assessment, which involves:
- Looking out for slip, trip and fall hazards;
- Determining the types of individuals who may be at risk;
- Considering the way in which the risks can be eliminated or minimised;
- Recording the findings of the risk assessment and implementing any necessary safety measures; and
- Reviewing the risk assessment on a regular basis.
Reducing the risks of slips, trips and falls
Employers can usually reduce the risks of slips, trips and falls with the greatest of ease. Necessary risk reduction measures include:
- Cleaning up all spillages immediately;
- Using signs to inform employees and visitors of wet floors;
- Using cable guards to cover trailing cables;
- Ensuring suitable footwear is worn;
- Securing rugs and mats;
- Treating slippery floor surfaces with chemicals; and
- Improving lighting levels over floor areas.
Claiming for slips, trips and falls through an accident lawyer in Spalding
If you have been injured in a slip, trip or fall in the workplace, please contact Accident Advice Helpline today. We will listen to your account of the accident, review your case and explain your legal rights to you in plain English. If we believe you have a case for compensation, we will instruct an accident lawyer in Spalding to represent you on a 100% no win no fee* basis.
Your injuries may be painful, but it certainly will not hurt you to call our freephone helpline to find out more about the process of hiring an accident lawyer in Spalding. Whether your accident occurred in an office, factory or retail store, we will be able to provide you with an experienced accident lawyer in Spalding without delay.
If you want to discuss your accident with an adviser then dial 0800 689 0500 from your land line, or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile.