When using the roads, it is important to stay alert at all times. This means that you have to avoid a wide range of distractions – events or objects that prevent you from operating your car safely.
Types of driver distractions
There are two main types of driver distractions:
Physical distractions include actions you may perform as a driver, actions your passengers may perform and distractions outside of your vehicle. They divert your attention away from road, posing a risk to your safety. Common physical distractions include:
- Roadside events, such as road works and accident scenes
- Personal grooming activities
- Eating and drinking
- Flying insects
- Mobile phones
- Satellite navigation devices
- Radios and CD players
Psychological distractions may cause you to become less attentive towards hazards on the road. They may also reduce your tolerance of other drivers. Common psychological distractions include strong emotions, such as anger and grief, and tiredness.
To avoid distractions, you must:
- Stay focused at all times
- Refrain from reading maps or newspapers whilst driving
- Conduct personal grooming activities before taking to the roads or after reaching your destination
- Remind passengers of your need to avoid distractions
- Ensure that children are properly restrained before you take to the roads
- Provide children with activities that will enable them to occupy themselves while you are driving
- Refrain from eating and drinking while driving
- Avoid using mobile phones when driving
Driver distractions – a common cause of road traffic accidents
If you have been injured in a road traffic accident caused by a distracted driver, you should contact an accident lawyer in Saltdean as soon as possible. All it takes is a free phone call to Accident Advice Helpline and you will receive honest legal advice from our friendly personal injury team.
Suffered a road traffic accident? You will require an accident lawyer in Saltdean
If you have a case for compensation, we will assign your claim to a 100% ‘no win, no fee*’ accident lawyer in Saltdean, which means that you will not have to worry about the cost of pursuing your claim. When you hand your case over to an accident lawyer in Saltdean, you will be able to rest assured that your claim is in capable hands. Our personal injury team have considerable experience of handling road accident claims, so let our insider knowledge help you during your time of need.
Call free on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone for free, no obligation advice about making a claim for compensation.