According to government statistics, motorcyclists are 35 times more likely to be killed in road traffic accidents than car occupants. Although motorcyclists make up a mere 1% of total road users, they account for 19% of road user fatalities.
Do not add to the statistics – take action to prevent motorcycle accidents
If you are considering taking to the roads on a motorcycle, you must take action to stay safe. The following tips may help you to stay out of harm’s way:
To ride defensively, you will need to:
- Anticipate the actions of your fellow road users
- Remain alert and observant at all times
- Ensure that you are able to slow down and stop in the event of encountering a hazard
- Position yourself in the safest possible place, maximising your visibility of potential hazards
- Take lifesaver glances over your shoulder before carrying out any manoeuvres
Consider enrolling in advanced motorcycle skills training
A variety of organisations offer motorcycle training packages to suit riders ranging from the newly qualified to the highly experienced. Following completing advanced motorcycle skills training, you may be able to acquire discounts on your motorcycle insurance.
Wear the right gear
If you fall off your bike, the tarmac will shred through your clothing within seconds. Wearing the right gear is as essential to your safety as servicing your motorcycle. Before taking your bike on the roads, you should wear the following items of personal protective equipment:
- An abrasion-resistant jacket featuring built-in shoulder, back and elbow protection
- Reinforced and padded motorcycle gloves
- A pair of abrasion-resistant leather trousers with built-in knee pads
- Light, secure and reinforced motorcycle boots
- An approved helmet with eye protection
Dealing with the consequences of a motorcycle accident
If, despite your best efforts, you are involved in a motorcycle accident through no fault of your own, an accident lawyer in Saltford will be able to assist you with making a personal injury claim. At Accident Advice Helpline, we can provide you with access to a 100% ‘no win, no fee*’ accident lawyer in Saltford, ensuring that you are able to access to guidance you need to make a successful motorcycle accident claim.
Get in touch with your accident lawyer in Saltford now
To find out more about our friendly, client-focused service, please call our Freephone helpline or use our 30-second test. If we believe you have a strong case for compensation, our trained claims advisers match you up with an experienced accident lawyer in Saltford without delay. Call free on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone for free, no obligation advice about making a claim for compensation.