Children love cycling – it is fast and thrilling, and gives them the freedom and independence to get around. Once your children feel confident using their bikes, you should get them used to cycling on the roads. Not only will you help them to improve their confidence, you will also be able to use the opportunity to teach them some essential road safety tips.
Road safety tips
Follow these basics to help your children to stay safe when cycling:
- Check that your children’s bikes are roadworthy before you allow them to take to the roads;
- Encourage your children to wear cycling helmets and brightly coloured clothing;
- When cycling on the roads with your children, cycle behind them;
- Set a good example by following the Highway Code and encouraging your children to do the same.
When teaching your children about road safety, do not forget to remind them to:
- Stop at red lights;
- Stay off the pavements, unless they are designated cycle paths;
- Signal clearly at all times;
- Make eye contact with other road users;
- Use their lights and reflectors when riding at night;
- Wear fluorescent clothing and accessories.
Road safety training
If you are concerned about your children’s cycling proficiency, you may wish to find out whether cycling training is available in your area. Your local schools may offer Bikeability training.
Dealing with a cycling accident
Many children and teenagers are seriously injured or killed on the roads every year. By teaching your children road safety from a young age, you will help to reduce the risk of an accident.
If the worst does happen and your child is involved in an accident caused by someone else’s carelessness, you may be entitled to instruct an accident lawyer in Rothley to claim compensation on their behalf. At Accident Advice Helpline, our personal injury team have considerable experience of fighting cycling accident claims on a 100% no win, no fee basis.
How an accident lawyer in Rothley will help you to pursue compensation
When you call our Freephone helpline, our trained claims advisors will take down the details of your child’s accident and put you in contact with a sympathetic accident lawyer in Rothley. He or she will investigate your child’s accident and collect evidence in support of your claim.
If your child has been involved in a cycling accident, please call our freephone helpline today to find out more about hiring an accident lawyer in Rothley.