Potholes are an increasing problem on the roads in Rochford, causing damage to vehicles and presenting a potential risk of personal injury. If you need to drive on roads with potholes, the following tips may help you to avoid accidents:
- Keep an eye out – You can protect yourself and your vehicle by watching out for potholes, particularly in wet weather.
- Maintain your distance – You should leave plenty of space between your vehicle and the vehicle in front, enabling you to see potholes in advance of time.
- Stay alert – If you need to change course to avoid a pothole, you should watch out for fellow road users.
- Watch your speed – Hitting potholes at high speeds can cause more damage to your vehicle.
- Avoid unnecessary braking – You should refrain from apply your brakes when driving over a pothole. If you brake, you will tilt your vehicle forwards, placing unwanted stress on your front suspension.
- Drive over potholes with care – If you cannot avoid a pothole, you should drive over it with care, allowing your wheel to roll into and out of the hole.
- Hold your steering wheel correctly – You should hold your steering wheel in the ‘10 to 2’ hands position. If you fail to do so, you may lose control of your vehicle when you are driving over potholes.
Steps to take in the immediate aftermath of a pothole accident
If you are involved in an accident and you suspect you may have sustained a personal injury, you should visit your GP’s surgery as soon as you can. While you should report the pothole to the relevant authority, you should contact an accident lawyer in Rochford before you do so. If you wish to claim personal injury compensation, you will need to collect all the appropriate evidence before the pothole is fixed.
Hiring the help of an accident lawyer in Rochford
At Accident Advice Helpline, our experienced accident lawyers will be pleased to assist you with your compensation claim. If your pothole accident claim is successful, and your accident lawyer in Rochford will fight to ensure that this is the case, your compensation settlement will adequately reflect the pain, suffering and financial losses you have experienced.
To find out more about the benefits of hiring an accident lawyer in Rochford, please call our freephone helpline now.
Date Published: 2nd March 2014
Author: Jan Newell