Driver fatigue accounts for up to 20% of all road traffic accidents, yet despite this, nine out of 10 drivers still admit to driving when they are tired.
Studies have shown that drivers do not fall asleep without warning – the most obvious warning signs include yawning, difficulty concentrating and lane drifting. However, many drivers choose to ignore these warning signs, mistakenly believing that simple acts such as opening the window and turning up the volume of the radio will help them to stay awake.
Tips for avoiding driver fatigue
To stay as safe as possible on the roads, drivers must take steps to avoid fatigue both before and during their journeys.
Before setting off, drivers must:
- Plan their journey to include a short 15-minute break for every two hours they spend on the roads
- Avoid travelling between midnight and 6 a.m., when their natural alertness may be lower than usual
- Refrain from drinking alcohol or taking any drugs that may induce drowsiness
When travelling on the roads, drivers must:
- Take a short 15-minute break for every two hours on the road
- Pull into the nearest service station whenever they start to feel drowsy
- Drink a caffeinated drink and have a rest before they take to the roads once again
- Share the driving with another responsible adult, if possible
Dealing with an accident caused by a fatigued driver
If you have been injured in a road traffic accident caused by a fatigued driver, you should be able to claim compensation for your injuries and financial losses. While you may be tempted to fight your claim single-handedly, an accident lawyer in Robertsbridge will be able to help you to navigate the claims process, improving your chances of walking away with a large compensation settlement.
Enlisting the help of an accident lawyer in Robertsbridge
An accident lawyer in Robertsbridge will help you to:
- Correspond with the negligent driver
- Collect evidence in support of your claim
- Obtain a medical report from a trained medical specialist
- Create a detailed record of all your financial losses and expenses
- Negotiate a suitable compensation settlement
- Provide advice on settlement offers
If you wish to pursue a claim through an accident lawyer in Robertsbridge, please call our freephone helpline and speak to one of our trained claims advisors.