Driving at night can be a challenge, particularly if you are a newly qualified or elderly driver. If you fall into either of these categories, you will be more prone to suffering from accidents on the roads. Fortunately, a few simple precautions will dramatically reduce your risk of becoming involved in an accident.
How to drive safely at night
When travelling on the roads at night, you should:
- Check that your vehicle’s lights are in good order, and that your windscreen is clean
- Grant your eyes the chance to adjust to the dark before you take to the roads
- Avoid driving when you are tired
- Drive at a safe speed, and keep an adequate distance from the vehicle in front of you
- Ensure that your mirrors are in an anti-glare position
- Always signal in advance of time before manoeuvring
Factors that add to the dangers of driving at night
While the darkness can seriously affect driving conditions, a range of factors add to the dangers of driving at night:
Drowsiness makes driving more difficult – it dulls your concentration and slows down your reaction times.
Alcohol severely impairs your driving ability, and acts as a depressant, inducing fatigue.
- Cigarette smoking
Cigarettes contain nicotine, which can hamper your night vision.
Claiming compensation for an accident on the road
If you have had an accident on the roads while driving at night and you believe that the accident was not your fault, an accident lawyer in Roade can help you to claim compensation. At Accident Advice Helpline, our trained claims advisors can find you an accident lawyer in Roade from our large nationwide team, enabling you to starting your claim with the greatest of ease.
Contacting an accident lawyer in Roade
To get in contact with us, you can:Open Claim Calculator
- Call our freephone helpline and speak to one of our experienced claims advisors
- Fill in our 30-second test and find out whether you are entitled to make a claim
If we feel you have a strong case for compensation, we will match you up with a legal specialist, ensuring that you are able to secure the maximum possible compensation settlement for the injuries and financial losses you have encountered.