According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), one third of reportable accidents arise from slips, trips and falls in the workplace. These accidents are associated with a wide range of causes, including:
- Unsuitable floor coverings;
- Floor contamination;
- Obstacles on the floor;
- Damaged flooring;
- Missing handrails;
- Inappropriate footwear;
- Poor lighting; and
- Unsuitable cleaning materials.
Although slips, trips and falls are the most common cause of workplace accidents, they can be controlled and managed with very little expenditure. To prevent such accidents, your employer should ensure that:
- Floors are suitable for the work activities that take place on them;
- Walkways are wide enough to allow the safe passage of traffic;
- Cleaners use appropriate warning signs to alert you to the dangers of wet floors;
- Floors coverings, such as carpets and tiles, remain in good condition;
- Steps and stairs are adequately lit and free from obstacles; and
- Proprietary cable covers are used to fix trailing cables in place.
Can I make a claim for a workplace slip, trip or fall in Retford?
If you have suffered a slip, trip or fall at work, you may be entitled to compensation. You should seek the advice of a lawyer in Retford for advice on how to proceed. To claim for your accident, you must be able to demonstrate that your employer was at fault, and that you have suffered as a result of their negligence. To do this, you will need to gather evidence relating to the cause of your accident. While we appreciate that it may be difficult for you to gather evidence at the accident scene, it will be useful if you can:
- Report your accident to your employer;
- Collect the details of any witnesses to your accident;
- Visit your GP or go to your nearest accident and emergency department so that a medical professional can make a record of your injuries; and
- Keep proof of all your related expenses, including your travel expenses and medical treatment charges.
Once you have received treatment for your injuries, you should call Accident Advice Helpline and seek the help of a specialist accident lawyer in Retford. We will be able to build a strong case for compensation on your behalf, enabling you to concentrate on making a full recovery.
How can I afford the cost of an accident lawyer in Retford?
Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we can provide you with access to a 100% no win no fee* lawyer in Retford. To find out more, please call our freephone helpline on 0800 689 0500 and let one of our trained claims advisors assess your case.
Date Published: 28th February 2014
Author: Jan Newell