Walking is a great means of getting around. It is not only cheap and convenient, but it is also beneficial for your health.
Whether you walk in your leisure time or as part of your daily commute, it is important for you to pay attention to your safety, especially when you are crossing the roads.
Stop, look, and listen – follow the Green Cross Code
To stay safe while crossing the roads, you will need to follow the Green Cross Code:
Find a safe place to cross
- If possible, cross the road using a pedestrian crossing.
- If you cannot find an established crossing point, choose a place where drivers and riders will be able to see you.
Stop before you get to the edge of the kerb
- Stop just before you reach the edge of the kerb.
- Stay back from the edge of the road but ensure that you can see approaching motorists and riders.
Look all around for oncoming vehicles and riders and listen out for traffic
- Grant yourself the time you need to look around before you step onto the road.
- Keep your eyes peeled and listen out for traffic.
If traffic is approaching, let it pass before you cross the road
- Wait until traffic has passed, then look and listen once again.
- Do not step onto the road until you are certain that you have sufficient time to cross in safety.
When you are certain it is safe for you to do so, go straight across the road
- Walk straight across the road – do not run or cross the road diagonally.
- Give the road your full attention – do not use your mobile phone or listen to music while crossing.
- Keep looking and listening out for traffic while you cross the road.
Had an accident? Call a personal injury lawyer
If, despite following the Green Cross Code, you are involved in a road traffic accident as a pedestrian and you feel the accident was not your fault, please contact a specialist personal injury lawyer.
At Accident Advice Helpline, our lawyers are able to offer 100% no win, no fee* pedestrian accident claims. This means that you will be able to hire an accident lawyer without paying any money upfront.
Looking for a personal injury lawyer in Plumpton?
We do not have a personal injury lawyer in Plumpton working directly for us but this doesn’t matter, we can still help you claim as we are a national injury law firm that covers all areas of the UK. So if you need a personal injury lawyer in Plumpton or anyway make us your first point of call.
To contact us, please call our freephone helpline or use our 30-second test.
For expert legal advice about a possible claim call Accident Advice Helpline today on: 0800 689 0500 from a landline or: 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.
Date Published: 8th February 2014
Author: Jan Newell
Category: Location Posts