If you are considering making a personal injury claim for compensation, you may find it difficult to determine whether you will receive a worthwhile settlement following winning your case. Compensation settlements are based on a variety of factors, and two claims that appear very similar could actually attract significantly different compensation awards.
Your financial losses
You may automatically think about the amount of money that will be awarded for your personal injuries. However, your financial losses and expenses can often be significant. Your financial losses may include:
- Your medical treatment and assessment fees, including your doctor’s fees and fees for treatment such as physiotherapy
- Your transportation and parking expenses
- Your medication costs, including your prescription charges
- Your lost earnings – if you have taken time off work
- Your care and assistance expenses – if you have paid someone else to carry out household chores because you have been unable to perform them yourself
The key to obtaining a large compensation settlement is ensuring that you are completely open with your accident lawyer in Northampton about the way in which you have been affected by your personal injury. Your lawyer will then be able to highlight areas of your claim and make appropriate investigations into your losses and expenses.
In more serious cases, you may continue to suffer financial losses on an ongoing basis. In such cases, your accident lawyer in Northampton will be able to calculate your future losses and include them in your compensation settlement.
Your pain and suffering
In addition to your financial losses, you will be entitled to compensation for the injuries you have sustained. The assessment of your injuries will be based on a range of factors, including:
- The type of personal injury you have sustained
- The severity of your injury
- The duration of your injury
- The extent to which your injury has affected your daily life, leisure pursuits and job prospects
- The level of treatment required
- Your medical history
When valuing your compensation settlement, your lawyer in Northampton will consider the Judicial Studies Board’s guidelines.
Contacting an accident lawyer in Northampton
If you wish to make a compensation claim through an accident lawyer in Northampton, please call our Freephone helpline on 0800 689 0500 and grant our expert legal team the chance to recover a large compensation settlement on your behalf.