Be careful this Christmas!
You would be amazed at how many extra accidents occur at Christmas. A & E departments start to get super busy at this time of year, with most accidents being due to an added amount of carelessness because of a drink or two.
We’re not suggesting that you don’t enjoy the odd drink, but keep in mind that it’s important to be safe, not sorry this Christmas.
When decorating the tree
- Take the time to use a ladder – many accidents happen when adults climb on nearby tables or wobbly chairs to get to the highest parts of the tree
- Unplug the fairy lights before you water the tree. Using water around live electrical items is never a good idea.
- If you have children, use decorations that are safe for them. Many young children are fascinated by baubles, and they like to bite them. The shattered glass is extremely dangerous for little mouths.
When using candles
- Do not light candles in a room and then walk out of it, leaving them unattended.
- Do not place them anywhere they could tip over – use a holder.
- Do not put the candles beneath objects that could burn, for example a shelf.
- Put them in a clear space, for example not amongst presents. And don’t put them on your tree either.
When opening presents
- If you come across a present that’s packed in a plastic packaging that’s impossible to open – don’t grab a kitchen knife to slice it open. Find some scissors instead.
- Don’t unwrap Christmas presents with wild gestures. This seems a little bit killjoy, but people standing behind you can get hurt accidentally, and if you are next to a wall as your arms are waving around, you can break hands, arms and elbows.
- Make sure that you remove the pins from brand new shirts before you put them on. Injuries from shirt pins range from scratches to punctured lungs.
If an accident happens
Make sure that you get treatment right away. Accidents aren’t funny, so don’t just laugh at the unfortunate victim and ignore it.
It won’t ruin Christmas to spend some time at the hospital getting wounds or accidents dealt with, and it will make it so much worse if a wound or break is left untreated, meaning greater future problems.
If any accidents have happened this Christmas which were not your fault and you are looking for a Kirkintilloch no win no fee* lawyer. We work in partnership with reputable solicitors across Scotland who can handle your claim by phone.
The Kirkintilloch no win no fee* team will help you to make a claim for compensation, simply and easily. Just call us at any time on 0800 689 0500 and from your mobile 0333 500 0993.
Our helpline is available 24 hours and our advisors can put you in touch with our Kirkintilloch no win no fee* team once they confirm you have a valid claim.