Injury solicitors in St Paul’s
If you have been subjected to carbon monoxide poisoning you may be only too well aware of the potential risks of this deadly gas. Carbon monoxide, released through the incomplete burning of fossil fuels, can kill within minutes. As you can smell, taste or see the gas it is often referred to as the silent killer.
If you have been affected by carbon monoxide poisoning then you should contact our team of injury solicitors in St Paul’s and see if you could be entitled to make a claim.
One of our injury solicitors in St Paul’s may be able to help you make a claim if the carbon monoxide poisoning was not your fault. For example, if you purchased a gas appliance which has been found to have a manufacturing fault, or was not fitted correctly. You might also be able to make a claim if you live in rented accommodation (whether privately, or through a council or housing association) and your landlord has failed to arrange for appliances within the home to be inspected.
Take our 30 second test to find out how much compensation you could be awarded, or speak to our injury solicitors in St Paul’s.
There are a variety of ways in which you could be exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning within the home:
- Boilers – a boiler with a mechanical fault could mean that carbon monoxide is allowed to build up. For example, most boilers have a facility in which if there is a blockage the boiler will shut off. If this safety process fails for some reason and the blockage prevents the fuels from burning completely then an excess amount of carbon monoxide could build up and be emitted into your home. Thus putting you and your family at risk.
- Fires – it is not just gas appliances that are potentially dangerous when it comes to carbon monoxide. If you have a real fire and the chimney becomes blocked, without your knowledge, this can prevent the carbon monoxide fumes from escaping. With nowhere for them to go, you will be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Ovens – ovens and gas stoves are also high risk when it comes to carbon monoxide. Faulty, or uncleaned burners can cause the fuels present to be burned incompletely which will ultimately lead to the production of carbon monoxide.
- Heating systems – if you have a central heating system in your home, then there is the risk that any faults associated with this, whether in its manufacture or installation, can cause carbon monoxide to build up.
If you are worried about the potential for carbon monoxide in your home you should arrange for all relevant appliances to be tested. If you live in rented accommodation this will fall under the responsibility of your landlord.
You can also get carbon monoxide alarms or detectors to act as a warning if carbon monoxide is detected.