Injury solicitors in Hornchurch and criminal injury claims
The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme is government funded to compensate the blameless victims of violent crimes. The government realises that no amount of money can compensate for your experience, but it is meant to be recognition of public sympathy.
The Criminal Injury Compensation Authority (CICA) administer the scheme. The amount of the payments they make for each injury is decided on by parliament. You might want to use injury solicitors in Hornchurch if you need to make a criminal injuries claim.
Injury solicitors in Hornchurch know the criteria
There are criteria you have to fit to be able to make a claim, which injury solicitors in Hornchurch will explain if you contact them, but the basics are as follows:
- The crime must have taken place within the last two years;
- You must have reported the crime to the police;
- You must have helped the police with their enquiries;
- You were a direct victim of a crime of violence;
- You were not to blame for the incident;
- You sustained an injury while taking an exceptional and justified risk, while trying to remedy or prevent a crime;
- You sustained a mental injury as a result of witnessing or being involved in the immediate aftermath of an incident in which a loved one is injured;
- You are the qualifying relative of a victim who has died from injuries caused by a crime of violence;
- The injuries you sustained must have been severe enough to need medical attention;
- You must have tried to get the compensation from the assailant. If you do not know who this is, or if they do not have the means to pay you the CICA will consider your claim; and
- You should be a British citizen or an EU national with a right to be in the UK.
What the payments from the scheme cover if you need to make a claim
The scheme is quite specific about what the payments they make can cover:
- Special expenses payments to cover specific injury-related requirements which are not free of charge from any source;
- Fatal injuries, including loss of parental services and financial dependency;
- Funeral payments;
- Personal injury following a single incident;
- Personal injury following a period of abuse; and
- Loss of earnings.
We are here to help you
Being the victim of a violent crime is a very traumatic experience, without having to go through the stress of making a claim yourself. Accident Advice Helpline are here to help — here to take the stress away and make your claim as trouble-free as possible.
We have in-house solicitors with a wealth of knowledge and experience. For us, personal injury compensation claims of all types are a daily occurrence. When making any claim you need the best on your side, and with our solicitors you will have exactly that.
Speak to one of our advisors on our freephone number, 0800 180 4123. You will find them friendly, professional and compassionate, and your conversation will be confidential. After a chat with them, you will be under no obligation to proceed unless you want to.
Date Published: 10th January 2014
Author: Emma Matthews