How to apply a cold compress – injury solicitors in Dunfermline
A cold compress can be useful in a variety of soft tissue injuries, stopping them from getting any worse and providing some relief for the patient. Applying a cold compress can be helpful at the time of the injury, and also afterwards, during the healing process. They help by stopping any swelling that has been caused by the injury, and cooling the area to reduce pain. Here are some tips on applying a cold compress for yourself or another person.
- Elevate the injury. If possible, try to elevate the injured body part above the heart, as this helps to reduce swelling and pain instantly as it keeps the blood from rushing to this area. Elevation will work well alongside the compress.
- Choose your compress. You can buy cold compresses, which work as ice packs to keep in the freezer, or chemically cold packs which just need to be activated. However, you can also make your own quite simply by placing ice in a tea towel or a cloth bag, or even using a bag of frozen vegetables.
- Cover the injury with the compress. Try to cover the entire injured area with the compress so that it can work on the whole injury at one time. You may find it more comfortable to rest an injury on a compress instead of placing the compress on top.
- Use a bandage to help press the cold compress against the skin more firmly. This will also prevent you from having to hold the compress in place for the entire time.
- Remove the compress after 20 minutes. If you leave a compress on for longer than this then the skin runs the risk of becoming frostbitten, which will make the situation worse. You can then re-apply the compress after two hours if necessary.
When to find injury solicitors in Dunfermline
If you have sustained an injury due to an accident which was not your fault, then you may be able to claim compensation using injury solicitors in Dunfermline. It is best to use injury solicitors in Dunfermline for a compensation claim, as they know the law better than you do, and will be able to provide you with advice and support throughout the process.
Accident Advice Helpline has over 10 years’ experience with personal injury compensation claims, and will provide you with dedicated and experienced injury solicitors in Dunfermline, to get you the compensation you deserve. You can call the helpline 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 0800 689 0500 and the team will talk you through the process, to make sure that you are comfortable and want to proceed. If you decide to go ahead then you will be passed over to injury solicitors, who will work on a 100% no win no fee* basis to get you the compensation you deserve.