Is a tourniquet a good idea? – injury solicitors in Carnwath
A tourniquet, in some cases, can be the only way to save a person’s life after an accident. If a person is losing a lot of blood after an accident and you are concerned that they may die if the blood flow is not stopped, then a tourniquet may be the only way to save their life.
However, a tourniquet completely cuts off the blood flow to the area that it is applied to, and this can result in loss of limbs if it is not removed again quickly. Here are some ways you can decide whether a tourniquet is necessary, or if you should try other methods of stopping the blood flow first.
- Never use a tourniquet first. The first thing you should do is to call the emergency services to get them to come to the injured person’s aid. They will be able to decide what is best to do, and if they get there quickly enough may be able to prevent the need for a tourniquet.
- Try to stop the bleeding by placing cloth against the wound and applying pressure. In many cases this will help to stem the flow of blood and ultimately stop the bleeding.
- Elevate the area that is bleeding if this is possible. If the limb is elevated then the blood flow should at the very least slow down, and this will give you more time to decide what to do, or await the emergency services.
- Try to compress the artery against the bone by pressing firmly down on it, away from the wound. This should also stop the flow of blood.
- If you do need to use a tourniquet, use a wide length of material, as a thin string is likely to cause more damage rather than save the person’s life.
Finding injury solicitors in Carnwath
If an accident has caused you serious injury and was caused by someone else, then you may want to consider using injury solicitors in Carnwath to make a claim for compensation. It is always best to use injury solicitors in Carnwath when making a compensation claim, as they know the law better than you and are more likely to make a successful claim for you.
Accident Advice Helpline has over 15 years’ experience in the field of personal injury compensation claims, and will be able to provide you with dedicated and experienced injury solicitors in Carnwath, who can handle your claim on your behalf. You can call the helpline 24/7 on 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile to speak to the team.
The team will talk you through your accident and help you to decide whether you have a good case for compensation or not. If you do then you will be passed over to injury solicitors in Carnwath, who will work on a 100% no win no fee basis to get you the compensation you deserve.