Food and drink are an important part of Christmas celebrations for many people and a large part of the eating and drinking takes place in restaurants, pubs and cafes. Unfortunately, some of these meals out will result in a case of food poisoning which can cause a huge disruption to the lives of the affected people. Accident Advice Helpline can help people with this sort of incident by assisting them to start an injury case with their injury solicitor in Leintwardine. It is very easy to contact Accident Advice Helpline either via their website or on their 24/7 helpline. They have a team of highly trained, professional advisers who will be able to answer all your queries.
Part of the claims process involves proving where you got the food poisoning from. You may have eaten out at several restaurants and any of them could be the culprit. Your local environmental health department could help out here as they may be investigating a larger food poisoning outbreak. This will involve confirming the source of the outbreak (i.e. the guilty restaurant) and establishing exactly what went wrong. Here are some of the food handling errors that could contribute towards an injury claim.
Food handling error cases
These are some of the food handling errors that could have caused cross contamination in such cases:
- Re-using old food packaging and storing food in opened tins.
- Letting the covering fall into foods.
- Not making sure that containers are washed, disinfected and dried between uses.
- Not storing raw meat and poultry in high sided containers to prevent drip and not covering them.
- Preparing raw meat, poultry or eggs close to ready-to-eat foods – they can get splashed and contaminated.
- Splashing raw egg onto ready-to-eat foods. If food comes into contact with raw meat or poultry or eggs it is likely to be contaminated. It is very likely to have pathogens on it and should be discarded.
- Not washing hands properly after handling raw foods.
- Using the same chopping board, dishes, utensils, surfaces for raw and cooked foods.
- Using a dishcloth to wipe down surfaces after handling raw foods and then surfaces that will be used for cooked foods.
- Using the same slicer for raw and cooked meats without disinfecting in between tasks.
Food poisoning can be a very debilitating illness and can make you feel ill for some time. During this time it is unlikely that you will be able to work and so you may also end up losing money. If you are able to show that your food poisoning was caused by a particular restaurant or café then you may be able to get some compensation. This is for the illness itself and any money that you have lost because you are injured. You will need to show wage slips, receipts, invoices and so on to prove this.Open Claim Calculator