Making a claim with an expert injury solicitor
How will I know I have an eligible claim?
Under British law, there are three key elements that must be met in order for you have an eligible claim for compensation:
- The accident or event in which you were hurt must not have been your fault;
- You must have received medical advice and treatment for your injuries; and
- There is a deadline of three years during which time you must make the claim.
Who can make a claim for compensation?
Here at Accident Advice Helpline, our injury solicitor in Coton works with many people from all walks of life to claim the compensation to which they are entitled. We work with;
- The injured person themselves;
- Someone acting on your behalf, with your permission;
- If the person injured is under the age of 18 years, or is incapacitated, a court-appointed ‘litigation friend,’ who is usually a parent or a close relative; or
- Dependants or personal representatives of people who have been killed or died as a result of their injuries; these cases can be more complex.
More about the time limit
British law in relation to personal injury compensation claims stipulates that claims must be made within three years of the date of the accident. You can make a claim at any point within three years of your accident, but our injury solicitor in Coton advises that in terms of a compensation claim, making it sooner rather than later is the best way forward.
There are slight changes in terms of time limits when it comes to making a claim for children or young people under the age of 18 at the time of the accident, as well as those people claiming for industrial diseases. Our advisers can tell you more.
If the three-year deadline has passed, can I still claim?
Unfortunately, this three-year deadline is set down in law, and your injury solicitor in Coton will be unable to make a claim on your behalf.
This is why it is so important to make sure that if you have a claim for compensation that you start your claim as early as possible. However, we also understand that some injuries that people sustain as a result of an accident can take some time to recover from initially.
Get in touch with our injury solicitor in Coton
You can reach us by calling our dedicated helplines on 0800 689 0500 from a landline or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile. Or, why not take our 30-second test to find out how much compensation you could be entitled to?