Preventing accidents at home – injury lawyers in Westgate-on-sea
It is more likely that you will have an accident at home than almost anywhere else, meaning that it is more important that you protect yourself from injury at home than when you are out and about. You can protect yourself from injury by taking care and noticing your surroundings, but there are also certain preventative measures you can put in place in your home so that you protect yourself and your family (as well as guests) from accidents.
- Turn off and unplug electrical devices when not in use. Check the cables for fraying or any damage, and don’t let animals have access to your cables as they may chew or scratch them.
- Make sure there is always a phone within easy reach just in case of accidents. This may mean having a home phone in an easily accessible place, or keeping your mobile phone on you. You should also have a list of emergency contacts somewhere in the home, and make sure that the whole family knows how to access it.
- Have adequate lighting for the whole house for day and night. Inadequate lighting can lead to slips and falls, especially on the stairs. Look into nightlights for children and elderly people, so that falls during the night are less likely.
- Close cabinets, drawers and doors when they are not in use. Having these open puts you at risk of walking into them or bumping your head.
- Install smoke alarms, burglar alarms and carbon monoxide tests in the home so that you are prepared in case anything does happen.
- Have carpeted stairs, or place non-slip runners along each step. These will stop people from slipping on shiny staircases and falling down the stairs.
- Replace damaged electrical items immediately, or at least unplug them and put them away so no one will try to use them.
When to find injury lawyers in Westgate-on-sea
If you have had an accident in someone else’s home, and it was caused by their negligence, then you may want to use injury lawyers in Westgate-on-sea to claim compensation against them. Bear in mind that doing this is likely to alienate this person and make them quite angry, so you will want to be sure that it is worth making the claim before you proceed.
You can call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile, to speak to the team about your accident. They will help you to decide whether you have a good enough case for compensation and let you know more about the 30 second test on the website which will tell you how much compensation you could get. If you decide to proceed then you will be passed over to injury lawyers in Westgate-on-sea who will work with you on a 100% no win no fee* basis to get you the compensation you deserve. You shouldn’t even have to go to court.
Date Published: 1st December 2013
Author: David Brown