Making a fatal injury claim with injury lawyers in Tong
Losing someone close to you is always a traumatic experience, but to find out that their death was unnecessary, caused by the fault or negligence of someone else, can be soul destroying. Nothing can be as bad as the loss, but what the family does not need are other worries on top of their grief, such things as financial problems.
If the death was someone else’s fault, they may be entitled to make a fatal injury claim, which would at least give them financial stability and do away with one of the problems. They should contact injury lawyers in Tong at Accident Advice Helpline for help with this process.
Injury lawyers in Tong discuss the three-year rule
Generally, you have three years from the date of the accident in which to make your personal injury compensation claim. However, there are some exceptions to how the three-year rule is applied, particularly with a fatal injury claim:
- The family have three years from the date of death if the victim survived for a while after the accident.
- The family cannot make a claim if the victim lived more than three years after the accident but knew the injuries were life threatening. The claim should have been made under the normal three-year rule.
- If the accident caused a mental disability, the time period does not commence until they are no longer mentally disabled, and therefore might create a longer period for the family to claim.
- In the cases of industrial illness or disease, the victim might not have been aware of the problem being connected to a particular employment until many years later. The victim has three years from the date of diagnosis, or the family has three years from the date of death if this is less than three years after finding out about the illness.
Injury lawyers in Tong discuss the two-year rule
There are two main areas where the normal claim period is two years, not three:
- Criminal injury compensation claims, fatal or not, that are made to the Criminal Injury Compensation Authority have a two-year time limit.
- If the accident which caused the death was on a ship or plane, the time period is typically two years, but it does depend on how the accident happened and the exact description of the vessel involved.
However the death occurred, at Accident Advice Helpline you will find friendly and compassionate advisors ready to assist you all they can. You can contact them on our freephone number, 0800 180 4123, any time of day, any day of the week. Alternatively, you can complete our online compensation claim form if you wish. However you decide to make contact with us, we will make sure you have as little stress as possible with your claim at this already very difficult time.