Prevent a spinal cord injury
Spinal cord injuries can lead to paralysis or even death, so you should be able to recognise the signs and know how to treat a potential spinal cord injury. If you suspect that someone has had a spinal cord injury, you should never move them and try to get the emergency services to them as soon as possible. Stop them from moving their head and neck, and try to keep them conscious and calm. The best way to treat a spinal cord injury is not to have one in the first place, however, so here are a few tips on preventing this type of injury.
Be safe on the road
Road accidents are a major cause of spinal cord injuries, so you should be doing everything you can to protect yourself whilst you are driving:
- Avoid dangerous driving conditions, and drive slowly in bad weather;
- Wear a seatbelt at all times, whether you are a driver or a passenger;
- Avoid distractions such as mobile phones and even loud music; and
- Do not drive under the influence of alcohol or get into a car with someone who has been drinking.
Avoid slips and falls
Another major cause of spinal cord injuries is slips and falls, which can cause you to land directly onto your delicate spinal cord and cause serious injury:
- Wear non-slip shoes and avoid heels on uneven or slippery surfaces;
- Put non-slip mats in areas with shiny floors, and on staircases;
- Exercise to maintain muscle tone and balance; and
- Place grab bars in your bath and shower.
Be safe in leisure activities
- Wear a helmet and protective clothing for sports and activities which require it;
- Warm up before doing any exercise to get your body ready for the exercise; and
- Never dive into a body of water where you don’t know how deep it actually is.
If you need injury lawyers in Studland
If your spinal cord injury has been caused by the negligence of someone else, then there is a good chance that you may be able to claim compensation using injury lawyers in Studland. It is always best to use injury lawyers in Studland to ensure that your compensation claim is successful, and lawyers will be able to talk you through the process so that you always know what is happening and what comes next.
Accident Advice Helpline have over 15 years’ experience in the field of personal injury compensation claims and will be able to work with you on your claim through experienced injury lawyers in Studland. You can reach the helpline 24/7 on 0800 689 0500 and will be able to speak to the team about your accident. They will let you know whether you have a good case for compensation and let you know more about the 30-second test on the website, which tells you how much compensation you may be entitled to.
Date Published: 15th November 2013
Author: David Brown