Injury lawyers in Smethwick
Smethwick is a town in the Sandwell Metropolitan Borough, in the West Midlands. It was suggested that the name Smethwick meant “smiths’ place of work,” but a more recent interpretation has suggested the name means “the settlement on the smooth land.”
The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme (CICS)
This government funds the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme to compensate the innocent and blameless victims of violent crimes. The government realises that no amount of money can compensate for your experience, but it is recognition of public sympathy.
The Criminal Injury Compensation Authority (CICA) administer the scheme, with the amounts of compensation for specific injuries being decided by parliament. CICA have a minimum award of £1,000 and have been known to award as much as £500,000.
To be able to make a criminal injuries compensation claim, you have to have been the faultless victim of a violent crime that has happened in the last two years in England, Scotland or Wales. There is a longer list of things that disqualify you, such as:
- If you did not report it to the police, or delayed reporting it;
- If you did not cooperate with the police or CICA;
- If you have already applied for compensation;
- If you and the assailant were living together at the time of the assault; and
- Your criminal record could cause a reduction in the award.
The things covered by the scheme
If you have been injured as the victim of a violent crime, our injury lawyers in Smethwick would let you know what items the scheme will pay for, and that could include:Open Claim Calculator
- Special expenses payments – to cover specific injury-related requirements which are not free of charge from any source;
- Fatal injuries, including loss of parental services and financial dependency;
- Funeral payments;
- Personal injury following a single incident;
- Personal injury following a period of abuse; and
- Loss of earnings.
CICA expect you to try to make an injury claim from the person who caused your injury first, but if you do not know who the assailant is or they do not have the funds to pay you, injury lawyers in Smethwick will make your claim to the CICS.
Here to help
Accident Advice Helpline are here to help, to take the stress away and make your claim as trouble-free as possible, just like we have for the many thousands of victims before you.
We have in-house solicitors with a wealth of knowledge and experience; for them, personal injury compensation claims of all types are a daily occurrence. When making any claim you need the best on your side, and with our solicitors you will have exactly that.
Speak to one of our advisors on our freephone number, 0800 180 4123. You will find them friendly, professional and compassionate, and your conversation will be confidential. After a chat with them, you will be under no obligation to proceed unless you want to.