What To Do If You Suspect A Spine Injury
If you have seen someone have an accident and have any reason to suspect a spinal injury then there are things you need to do and precautions you need to take, above and beyond what you would normally do for someone after an accident. This is because spinal injuries can be made worse by moving someone or acting in the wrong way. This could paralyse the person, or even kill them. Here are ways to tell if someone may have a spinal injury and what to do if you think they do.
Assume A Spinal Injury If:
- There has been a head injury. Even though this does not mean a spinal injury, a head injury should be treated with care and because the head is attached by the delicate neck it is more likely that the spine will have been injured.
- The person is complaining of neck pain.
- The neck or back is twisted or looks as though it is in the wrong position.
- There is any numbness in the legs, arms, bladder or bowels.
What To Do:
- Call an ambulance immediately. For any accident this should be the first thing that anyone at the scene does. If it does turn out that no one is badly injured it is still better to be safe than sorry, but whilst you are doing anything else that needs doing to make the person feel comfortable the ambulance should already be on the way.
- Tell the person to remain still and aid this by placing towels, clothing, or anything soft either side of their head. This is to make them as comfortable as possible, but also to stop them from moving.
- Do any first aid that needs doing, unless it involves moving the head or neck. To perform CPR you should move the jaw forward rather than tilting the head back. If in any doubt, wait for the ambulance.
Find an injury lawyer in Kingswood
If you have been involved in an accident which has damaged your spine then you may want to claim compensation for the stress and pain you have been through. You may be able to get compensation which covers any expensive treatments or surgeries you have to have. The best way to make a claim is through an injury lawyer who will be able to handle the claim professionally.
Although we do not have an injury lawyer in Kingswood we can still represent you and your claim. This is because we are a national firm that works across the whole of the UK. So if you need an injury lawyer in Kingswood look no further than our expert service.
Call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile, to speak to the team. They can help you decide whether you are eligible for a claim and then pass you onto an injury lawyer to get the help you need. Your injury lawyer will work on a 100% no win no fee basis, and Accident Advice Helpline has over 10 years’ experience in the field of personal injury compensation claims, so you know you are in the best hands.
Date Published: 18th November 2013
Author: David Brown