Suffered the distress of food poisoning and need to know if you can make an injury claim in Tadworth?
Food poisoning is a distressful and debilitating condition that is caused by consuming food that has been contaminated by either bacteria such as E Coli and Salmonella or a virus such as Norovirus. Regardless of how the food was contaminated, the resulting symptoms can cause:
- stomach cramps
There are certain types of food which may be more susceptible to causing food poisoning than others. These include:
- raw poultry and raw pork products
- unpasteurised milk
- ready to eat foods such as pate, cooked sliced meats, soft cheeses and sandwiches
- raw eggs
- raw shellfish such as prawns, crab, mussels and lobster
These foods need to be handled, stored and cooked correctly. The raw foods may contain bacteria which can be dangerous if it is not destroyed by high temperatures achieved through thorough cooking. Eggs in particular should be cooked through until both the yolk and white are solid, particularly if they are to be eaten by pregnant women or the elderly to avoid the risk of salmonella. Even home made products such as home made mayonnaise should be avoided because they may contain raw egg yolk.
The contamination of food
Food may become contaminated throughout the process of production, storage and processing or cooking. Food poisoning can be caused by:
- insufficient cooking of food such as pork and poultry products
- incorrectly storing chilled foods below 5 degrees
- leaving cooked food at warm temperatures for too long
- eating food that has expired beyond it’s use by date
- cross contamination of food that has become infected; spreading bacteria to uncontaminated foods.
- poor hygiene and food hygiene practice; insufficient hand washing and preparing food when you are ill yourself spreading infection.
Treatment for food poisoning
Food poisoning can vary in it’s severity from a mild upset stomach to diarrhoea and vomiting. It is important to use self help measures to aid your recovery such as rest and drinking plenty of clear fluids rather than attempt to eat anything. If the symptoms settle, then it is advisable to try some easily digestible foods such as toast.
If you suffer from diarrhoea and vomiting together, then it is important to take oral rehydration salts to reduce the risk of dehydration which can be dangerous for the elderly and those with other health conditions. If you are worried, consult medical advice as soon as possible, particularly if your symptoms worsen or you develop a fever.
Your injury claim in Tadworth
If you have suffered food poisoning and it wasn’t your fault and it occurred within the last 3 years, then you may be eligible to make an injury claim in Tadworth. Call Accident Advice Helpline and find out quickly and easily if you can make an injury claim in Tadworth. Their helpful and friendly advisers can offer you no obligation advice about the injury claims process over the phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you prefer, go on line and take part in their unique 30 second on line test and find out if you can make an injury claim in Tadworth today.