If I have an accident at work, is there any employee liability for my injury claim in Sparkwell?
Your employer has certain responsibilities towards their staff. They have to protect your health and safety while you are at work and make sure that you have a safe working environment. They have to make sure that you have enough room in which to work comfortably, that you take proper breaks during the working day, and that you take all of your holiday entitlement. It is compulsory they have employer’s liability insurance, with a minimum cover of £5 million, so that should they have an injury claim in Sparkwell made against them, the insurance company will settle it.
There is employee liability as well
Employees do not need to take out any form of insurance, but they do have responsibilities towards their employer and workmates, such as:
- Not appearing at work the worse for alcohol. This is a sackable offence, which would probably result in instant dismissal.
- Keeping their work area in a tidy condition. If they do not do this, they may cause someone else to be injured in an accident
- Ensure they wear any protective clothing provided, and ask for replacements as they wear out.
- Ensure any machinery is in proper working order before they use it. If not, report it immediately and refuse to use it until any problems have been rectified.
- Refuse to work on any equipment that does not have the safety devices fitted.
- Take any breaks that are part of the working day. Tiredness can lead to lack of concentration, which can potentially be lethal.
Things will still go wrong
Even if the employee and employer follow all the health and safety guidelines, there will still be occasions when accidents happen. Accidents at work can be very nasty and cause untold damages to the person involved, both physical and psychological.
It is not only one-off accidents that are the problem; an employee could incur an injury over a long period, something like repetitive strain injury, back damage, carpel tunnel syndrome, lung disease or some form of psychological illness to name just a few. These do not always become apparent until the victim has moved on from an employer, but if it can attributed to a particular condition at a particular employment then the employee can make an injury claim in Sparkwell against that employer.
Accident Advice Helpline have handled thousands of work-related personal injury compensation claims
Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we are specialists in personal injury claims no matter the cause. We have a wealth of expertise gained during our many years in aiding people with their personal injury compensation claims.
You can contact our free helpline on 0800 180 4123 and speak to one of our friendly professional advisors to put your claim in motion, or you can complete the 30-second test on our website for a rough idea of the amount you may be awarded.
We operate on a no win no fee basis, so you have no need to worry about the costs. It’s free whatever way you decide to contact us, and you will have nothing to pay out until we have won your case.
Date Published: 18th September 2013
Author: David Brown