Have you had a cycling accident and need to make an injury claim in South Yorkshire?
Cycling is becoming ever more popular in the UK. It is fun, good exercise and economical once you have bought your bike and kitted yourself out. The protection you need is not cheap, but it will reduce the risk of a serious injury and might save you having to make an injury claim in South Yorkshire.
The investment in protection
No one can promise that you will not be injured if you have an accident on your bicycle, but there are some items of protective clothing that may help to reduce the risk of a serious injury, such as:
- A well fitting, good quality helmet. These may not look very pretty, but can help to reduce the possibility of a head or brain injury. However, there are a lot of fakes on the market, so make sure you buy yours from a reputable supplier. The few extra pounds it will cost could literally mean the difference between life and death.
- Knee pads and elbow pads can stop those joints scraping along the road. This would cause you to have road rash, which can be very painful.
- Good sturdy footwear will help to protect your feet. Your foot could easily twist and break in an accident, so the more protection they have, the better.
- High-visibility clothing or accessories of some sort. You just need to make yourself as apparent as possible to other road users.
There are other measures you can take to try to avoid having to make an injury claim in South Yorkshire
The way you ride your bicycle is really important for safety. You should:
- Make sure you know the Highway Code and follow what it tells you regarding islands, traffic lights and signs;
- Do not ride next to other cyclists. If cars are behind you trying to get past, this makes it very difficult for them, the drivers become impatient and accidents happen;
- Make sure you leave at least a door width if you are passing parked cars. Drivers do not always notice cyclists and open their door, knocking the cyclist off their bike; and
- Be aware that most accident are caused by potholes and bad road surfaces. Keep your eyes open and stop before you reach them, if possible.
Someone is responsible for every accident, and if you have been injured in one that was not your fault then you may be able to make an injury claim in South Yorkshire.
Accident Advice Helpline have dealt with countless claims involving bicycles
Since we were established in 2000, we have helped many thousands of claimants to get the compensation to which they were entitled. Among them there have been numerous claims for cyclists. This is what we specialise in, what we are here for, and now we would like to help you with your injury claim in South Yorkshire.
You can contact us either through our website or by phone on 0800 180 4123. Whichever way you opt for, you will be glad you did.
Date Published: 19th September 2013
Author: David Brown