Have you suffered with food poisoning and need to make an injury claim in Slimbridge?
Food poisoning is an unpleasant illness which is caused by food becoming contaminated by bacteria such as E Coli and Salmonella, or a virus such as Norovirus.
Food poisoning symptoms
The symptoms of food poisoning can begin about 1-3 days after eating the contaminated food. You may experience:
- Stomach cramps
If vomiting starts within 24 hours, it is likely that toxins are responsible for the food poisoning and the symptoms can be severe and debilitating.
Types of food
Some types of food are particularly susceptible to becoming contaminated if they are handled, processed or cooked incorrectly. Such foods as:
- Raw meat and poultry
- Raw eggs
- Raw shellfish
- Ready to eat foods such as cooked ham, ready to eat sandwiches, pate and soft cheeses
- Unpasteurised milk
Contamination of food
Anyone preparing food should take great care as it can become contaminated very easily, causing food poisoning. It can be caused by:
- Not cooking food thoroughly, especially poultry and pork products
- Not storing food that needs to be chilled below 5 degrees
- Cooked food being left at warm temperatures for too long
- Eating food that has expired beyond its use by date
- Cross contamination, the spreading of bacteria, from one food to another
- Someone who is ill already handling food
- Poor hygiene practices and lack of hand washing
Treatment for food poisoning
- Most cases of food poisoning do not require medical treatment, just rest and plenty of clear fluids
- Avoid solid foods until you are feeling better, then start with easily digested foods such as toast
- Take oral rehydration salts to ensure that you do not become dehydrated
- If your symptoms do not improve over a period of days and are severe, then consult medical advice.
Making your injury claim in Slimbridge
If you have suffered food poisoning and it wasn’t your fault, in the last 3 years, then you may be able to make an injury claim. Call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 and let their helpful and friendly advisors give you all the information that you need to decide if you want to start an injury claim in Slimbridge.
With in excess of 13 years’ experience, Accident Advice Helpline can answer any queries that you may have about your accident and legal entitlement to make an injury claim. Their legal partners work on a 100% no win no fee basis so you can be assured that your claim will be handled professionally throughout the injury claim process. If you prefer, go online and take part in their unique 30 second test and find out quickly and discretely if you qualify for an injury claim.
Date Published: 21st September 2013
Author: David Brown