How an employer can avoid a work-related accident
Employers have a legal duty to protect the health and safety of their employees while in the workplace. There are laws, rules and regulations they have to follow. If they do not comply and you have an accident at work in which you are injured, you may be entitled to make an injury claim in Rothbury.
There are many things your employer can do to make sure they comply and keep their employees safe. Among them, they can:
- Keep walks free of spillages and obstructions;
- Make sure you have proper breaks;
- Provide free of charge any protective clothing or equipment needed to do your job;
- Keep a record of all accidents in an accident book;
- Report serious accidents to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE);
- Carry out risk assessments;
- Put procedures in place and make sure that all employees know what they are, in case of an emergency such as a fire;
- Carry out regular fire drills;
- Ensure you have enough space to work comfortably without having to constantly twist or squeeze in areas to do your job;
- Ensure that all plant and equipment is in proper working order and that any safety devices needed are fitted; and
- Train you to use the plant and equipment and make sure you are aware of any risks.
If they fail to comply with any of these and you have an accident, you may be able to make an injury claim in Rothbury.
The employee also has responsibilities to their employers and workmates
- Never consume alcohol during working hours;
- Never do anything that will put someone else in danger;
- Always wear any protective clothing provided; and
- Always make sure any safety devices are in place on the plant and equipment you are using. If they are not, refuse to use the equipment until this has been rectified. You cannot be fired for this.
Will everything be okay?
If the employer and employee do everything they should, the workplace will be safer. Unfortunately, no matter how many precautions are taken, accidents will still happen, people will still be injured and they may need to make an injury claim in Rothbury.
Who can help me?
If you have been injured at work and need to make a claim, contact Accident Advice Helpline. For over 15 years, we have been helping workers to get the compensation they were entitled to. We have assisted many thousands of claimants with their personal injury compensation claims, making the process easy and efficient for them.
Call our helpline on 0800 689 0500 and speak to one of our friendly advisors. They are professionals who will guide you through the processes and make the whole experience a lot less stressful for you.
Date Published: 14th September 2013
Author: David Brown