Staying Safe As A Pedestrian – Avoid An Injury Claim New Lanark
Although walking may seem like the very safest way to travel, cutting the risk of road accidents and letting you take things at your own pace, it is still possible to be injured as a pedestrian. Although you are on the pavement and vehicles stick to the roads, inevitably you will need to cross a road from time to time, and there will be areas where the roads are not as simple as in towns and cities. Another thing to watch out for is broken or damaged pavements as these are a common cause for an injury claim New Lanark. If the pavement is broken then it will be uneven and can cause you to trip and fall. If this happens then it is the fault of your local council and you can make an injury claim New Lanark. Just call the Accident Advice Helpline to find out more and get help processing your compensation claim.
Here are some tips on staying safe as a pedestrian:
- Find a safe place to cross. Many pedestrian accidents are caused simply because of someone trying to cut across a road outside of the designated crossings. There are zebra crossings, traffic light crossings, subways and overpasses all designed to make crossing the road as safe as possible. Make sure that when you cross the road you use one of these areas.
- Try not to cross between parked cars or behind any obstructions. If the cars cannot see you from the road then they may still keep going as you approach the crossing as they don’t know that they need to stop for you.
- Stop. Look. Listen. Although this is taught to us as children it can be forgotten as we get older. Stop before you hit the crossing, look around to see if there is any traffic coming and listen for any traffic you cannot see.
- Wait for cars to have stopped completely before you cross. Although it may seem that you are wasting time when a car is clearly slowing down, if they decide not to stop or are not actually slowing down you could still be hit.
- Pay attention. Listening to music or talking on the phone can lead to accidents as you are distracted from the task at hand.
What If I Do Need To Make An Injury Claim New Lanark?
If you have followed all of the steps above but have been hit by a vehicle or injured in some way on the road, you may be able to make an injury claim New Lanark. Make sure to take down all of the details of the accident and report everything you can to the police and the Accident Advice Helpline. Call 0800 689 0500 to speak to the helpline and make a start on processing your claim.