How can you find out if you qualify to make a personal injury claim in Mid Sussex for compensation? Call Accident Advice Helpline and they will explain the criteria your situation needs to fit.
The criteria your personal injury claim in Mid Sussex needs to fit
There is criteria all personal injury claims need to fit, whether it is a personal injury claim in Mid Sussex, a fatal injury claim in London, or any other types of claim anywhere in the UK.
- The accident must have been the fault of someone else. It could be that the other person was negligent, reckless or acted with intent, as long as it was not your own fault, you might be eligible to make a claim.
- Any injuries you sustained in the accident must have needed medical attention. A bruise on you arm would not be acceptable for a claim as a doctor would not be needed, but anything at all where you had to see a doctor or hospital, means your injuries come with the scope of personal injury claims.
- The accident must have happened with the last three years or your claim is time barred.
The three year time limit applies to most personal injury claims, but there are a few exceptions.
The exceptions for a personal injury claim in Mid Sussex
There are several exceptions to this rule, the main ones being:
- If your injuries were sustained in an accident at sea or in the air, the time limit is reduced to two years.
- If you are suffering from an industrial illness or condition, because many of them can take a number of years to show, the victim has three years from the date they are diagnosed with the problem to make their claim.
- If the victim is below 18 years of age at the time of the incident, and a parent or guardian did not make a claim for them at the time. They have three years from their 18th birthday to make their claim, or two years from their 18th birthday if the incident is one with a two year time limit.
- Courts can overrule all time limits, but this is very rare and there has to be exceptional circumstances why the claim was not made within the specified time.
If you are uncertain whether your personal injury claim in Mid Sussex is still within its time limits, give our friendly advisers a call on our freephone helpline, 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone.
They will chat to you about your accident and injuries to establish if you qualify to make a claim. If you do, they will put the wheels in motion for your claim to start, if you have decided that is the way forward for you. If you decide against making a claim, they will respect your wishes, and not put you under any pressure at all.
Date Published: 28th October 2014