Cyclists are one of the few that do not have to take a test or be insured to ride on the UK roads. Riding horse is also allowed, but of course neither of them are allowed on the motorways. There are other laws that apply to riding a cycle on our roads as well.
Applying the laws and avoiding a personal injury claim in Medway
There are more laws that apply to cycling than people sometimes realise, and the government also gives lots of guidance to help the cyclist keep safe. Among the laws and guidance are:
- Cyclist must not go on motorways
- They have to wear a cycle helmet that complies with the current regulations, fits them well and is properly fastened
- They are advised to wear something bright to make them more visible to other road users
- At night, they must have a white front light and a red rear light, both in working order, and there should be amber pedal reflectors
- Front and spoke reflectors can help them to be more visible at night
- Cyclists must not ride on pavements, in the day or night
- Cyclists are permitted to use bus lanes, but must take great care if there is actually a bus in it
- They should always keep both feet on pedals, and hands on handlebars unless they are signalling or stationary
- Do not ride to close too other road vehicles
- Do not carry anything that will affect their balance, or get tangled in the bike
- Keep their bike well maintained
- They must never carry a passenger
- They must never hold onto a moving vehicle
- They must not ride while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Be aware of the traffic around them
- They must obey all traffic signs and traffic lights
These are just some of the laws and guidance for cyclists, that hopefully will reduce the risk of them being injured in an accident that was not their fault, and the need for them to make a personal injury claim in Medway.
What cyclists should do if they are injured in an accident that was not their own fault?
The best thing for cyclists to do in this situation is to get in touch with Accident Advice Helpline, as we will make sure they have the proper legal representation for their personal injury claim in Medway.
Cyclists are often blamed for accidents that are not their fault, and they need to have solicitors and lawyers that will ensure this is not allowed to happen. We have over 14 years’ experience of successfully making such claims, and have the expertise and knowledge you need they need on their side of the claim.Open Claim Calculator
We are easy to get in touch with, either by using one of our online options, or by calling our freephone helpline and speaking to our friendly advisors. Neither of these ways will cost any money, and as we use the ‘no win, no fee*’ agreement, cyclists do not have to worry about financing their claim. Call free on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone for free, no obligation advice about making a claim.