Domestic gas is a popular fuel for both heating and cooking, but if appliances aren’t installed correctly, or they’re not regularly serviced and maintained, they can be dangerous. Gas leaks create the risk of explosion, and if appliances do not burn correctly, they can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. If you find yourself in the position of needing to launch an injury claim in Rushmoor for a gas related incident, we here at Accident Advice Helpline can assist.
Always use a Gas Safe registered engineer
If you’re having any work carried out on your gas supply, always ensure the work is carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Gas Safe registration guarantees that the carrier of that registration fully understands the potential risks and dangers of working with gas, and has been correctly trained and is competent to do so.
What can happen if the contractor is not Gas Safe registered
Some people get tempted to allow non-Gas Safe registered contractors to install a gas appliance as part of the work they are doing for them. Take the case of a couple who lived in Tiptree for example. They hired a contractor to do some work in their downstairs cloakroom.
As part of that work, the contractor agreed to fit a gas boiler. The contractor however was not Gas Safe registered. The couple shouldn’t have asked him, and that the contractor shouldn’t have agreed. However, he went ahead and completed the job.
The contractor fitted the new boiler and attached it to an existing flue without performing the necessary safety checks. The boiler was left with an unstable flame, due to inadequate combustion. This could have easily have caused the appliance to emit carbon monoxide fumes which could have injured, incapacitated, or even killed the occupants of the house.Open Claim Calculator
Contractor fined and given community service
This was not the only incident. The contractor has also carried out other gas installations as part of his work at other premises. He was sentenced to carry out 150 hours of community service and ordered to pay costs of £500. The couple in Tiptree were fortunate to not have been exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning. It could have killed them.
Launching an carbon monoxide injury claim in Rushmoor
If you weren’t as lucky as the Tiptree couple, and you’ve suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning, you could be entitled to compensation. You can find out just how much compensation you might be due by using the 30 second, HOW MUCH compensation calculator your find on the Accident Advice Helpline website.
Before you launch your injury claim in Rushmoor however, please note that the blame must be attributable to someone carrying out a faulty service or installation. If you fail to have your appliances regularly serviced, you could compromise any potential claim.
To check out your options, chat one of our experienced advisors via our helpline. Call 0800 689 0500 from landlines, or, 0333 500 0993 from mobiles.
Please note our services come highly recommended by Dame Esther Rantzen.