If you have a road accident abroad or want to make accident claims
There is rarely any situation in which it is easy to deal with a road accident. Not only will it be financially and emotionally draining, dealing with what has happened, there are also logistical matters which you need to bear in mind and work through until the situation can be completely resolved. If you have a road accident abroad, then this can be even more stressful to cope with, as you will need to deal with the fact that you are in a different country which may have different processes. You may not speak the language and you may struggle to work out compensation issues or claim for being injured on the road in Cwmbran. Here are some tips for what to do in this situation.
At the scene
You will basically want to do everything that you would do if you had a road accident in your own country, in order to be able to make a claim on insurance and any claim for compensation. This includes:
- Calling the police to the scene
- Taking photographs of the scene and any damage, as well as witness statements
- Make notes about what happened as you remember it, as soon as you have time
- Exchange insurance details. This is still a legal requirement even if you are not in your own country. Make sure that the other person has any details provided to you by a car hire company as well.
- Don’t admit liability. This can automatically mean that you will need to pay out on your insurance, and can make you liable to pay out on a compensation claim as well.
Accident Advice Helpline can tell you what to do next
Speak to your insurer as soon as possible – the same day if you can. They will be able to explain what you need to do next, which will depend on whether you were at fault for the accident or not, and whether you were driving your own car or a hire car. They should still pay out on insurance if they need to.
How to claim for being injured on the road in Cwmbran
It is often best to work with a company you know and trust when making a claim, even if it is not based in the country where you have had the accident. Call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile to speak to the team about your accident and find out whether or not you are eligible to make a claim for compensation. The team will help you through the process for claiming for being injured on the road in Cwmbran.
Date Published: 19th May 2014
Author: David Brown