What happens when you get a cast after a car accident?
Sustaining a broken bone as the result of being injured in a car crash in Braintree or another serious accident can be very upsetting, and can take a long time to recover from. Under most circumstances, a simple fracture will easily repair and be almost as good as new once a cast or splint has been applied, so there is no need to panic if you do have to get one.
However, many people will be nervous about getting a cast on an area of their body which already hurts so much, and can also be nervous about maintaining a cast so that it stays clean and dry. If you have had a car accident and think that you will probably have to get a cast, here are some of the things you need to know to help you to stay calm.
- The doctor will wrap the injury in mesh cotton. This is the inside layer of the cast and will feel perfectly comfortable against your skin, as well as keeping away infection and ensuring that the wound stays fresh and dry whilst it heals.
- The outside of the cast is soaked in water. This outside layer is generally made from Plaster of Paris of fiberglass and creates a very strong protective layer against any outside interference.
- The wet outer layer is wrapped around the limb. This will cover the mesh cotton and fit your limb perfectly, designed only for you and completely comfortable.
- The cast is left to dry. During this time you may feel it stiffen and this can be a little uncomfortable, but will not be for long.
- The cast is removed with a saw later. You must never try to remove a cast on your own as you could end up re-injuring the limb that has only just healed.
When to make a claim for being injured in a car crash in Braintree
If you think that your car accident was the fault of another driver, and that you have enough evidence to prove this in court, you should consider making a claim for compensation against them. Compensation can help you to pay for private medical treatment and help around the home whilst you recover, which will make the whole process much easier on you and ensure that your recovery process is as comfortable as it can be.
Talk to Accident Advice Helpline
Call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500, or on 0333 500 0993 if you’re calling from a mobile to speak to the team about being injured in a car crash in Braintree and find out whether or not you have a good enough case for a successful compensation claim. If you do then you will be passed over to our personal injury lawyers who can handle your case on a 100% no win no fee basis, and ensure that you get all of the compensation you deserve.
Date Published: 11th June 2014
Author: David Brown