What to do after being hurt in an accident in Smethwick
If you are thinking about claiming compensation when you’ve been hurt in an accident in Smethwick, there are several things you can do to help the chances of your claim being successful:
- The first thing you can do to help your claim is to write an account of your accident while it is still fresh in your mind. Make a note of anything that you can remember, even if you think it’s irrelevant, sometimes the devil is in the detail!
- Report your Smethwick accident to the relevant authority (if you haven’t done so already). If you think a crime may have been committed, call the police. If your accident was caused by municipal negligence, then contact the authority responsible, and so on. If you are unsure who you should contact call our helpline; one of our advisors may be able to advise you on this.
- Keep track of any costs arising from your Smethwick accident and the resulting injury/ illness. You can claim for things like: lost income, child care costs, travel expenses, private medical treatment, and the cost to replace clothing or personal items damaged in your accident – keep bank statements and receipts that corroborate the items on your list.
- If you didn’t visit a hospital, or receive medical attention following your Smethwick accident then make an appointment to see your doctor, even if you feel mostly ok. Some injuries, such as musculoskeletal ones and back pain can take a while to manifest. Your appointment will go on your medical record, which a court may ask to see.
- If there were any witnesses to your Smethwick accident then take their phone numbers; if they are willing to provide a statement at a later date, this could be a huge help.
- And lastly, if possible/ relevant take photos of your accident scene and any visible injuries.
Doing any or all of the things above may help your claim, but don’t worry too much if you didn’t do all of them. Write down now what you remember about your accident and keep hold of any evidence you have (such as those bank statements and receipts). Your solicitor will be able to help plug the gaps and build the best case possible for your compensation claim.
If you choose us to work on your claim for you then we will do all that we can to get you the maximum amount of compensation possible, and all our lawyers work under no win no fee contracts, so there is no need for your to worry about your legal bill, if your claim is unsuccessful then you won’t have to pay us a penny.
If you would like to know anything else about personal injury compensation, then call us now on either 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 if using a mobile. All calls are kept confidential and both lines are open twenty four hours a day.
Date Published: 29th June 2014
Author: David Brown