Knowing how to prevent a rock climbing accident can save you from serious injury, or even death. If you’re a novice rock climber, make sure you always climb with people who know what they are doing, or better yet, join a club and learn to climb safely. Here’s our top tips for climbing safely.
Know how to prevent a rock climbing accident
- Make sure your ropes are long enough
- Always be aware of how much rope you have left when you’re climbing
- If you’re using someone else’s rope – know the length, or whether they have been cut down
- Tie knots in the end of your ropes to stop them slipping through belay devices
- Ensure your climbing partners know what they’re doing and aren’t lazy. If they are – if there’s the remotest chance they will lose focus – don’t climb with them
- Communicate – especially if you’re struggling or you think you might fall, communicate with your climbing partners
- Wear a helmet to prevent injury from falling ice or rocks which are easily dislodged by those climbing ahead of you
- Check whether another party has gone on ahead of yours
- Educate yourself about the risks of rock falls or avalanches
- Build strong belays
- Don’t move above the belay
- Check yours and your partner’s knot and harness and belay plate before stepping off the ground
- Encourage your partners to check yours too
- Never become complacent!
Make a claim with Accident Advice Helpline
Once you know how to prevent a rock climbing accident, if you then go on to have one and it wasn’t your fault, you should enquire about making a claim for compensation. Here at Accident Advice Helpline we will be happy to assist.
Just one phone call is all it takes and you could be on your way to claiming compensation that is rightfully yours. As long as the rock climbing accident you had was not your fault, and occurred within the last three years, why not approach us and see what we can do for you?
We’ll need to know all about your injuries and what treatment you received for them, and we’ll want to know what the long-term prognosis is for your recovery. If you can share these details with us and you would like to make a no-win, no-fee* claim for your injuries, get in touch with us now.
Call us today and make your claim
To speak to one of our personal advisers and tell us your story call us on 0800 689 0500 (free from your landline), or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile (charges may apply).
Category: Rock climbing accident claims