Preventing Falls for Older People
Falls can happen both in and out of the home. There are quite a lot of things that you can do if you are older, to help prevent falls in the home.
Take regular exercise.
This will make you stronger and steadier on your feet. There are simple exercises you can do at home, or even from your chair. A short walk every day will help. Even better is Tai Chi, which will increase both your strength and co-ordination. Your doctor can tell you what kind of exercise is best for you.
Ask your doctor to review your medicines.
Some medicines might make you dizzy or sleepy. This can make it more likely that you fall over. Some medicines in combination or on their own will do this. Sometime you might have bought a medicine over the counter that has this side effect, but you didn’t realize it. Have a doctor check everything you are taking.
Have your eyesight checked.
At least once a year, have an optician or eye doctor check you over. You could be wearing the wrong strength of glasses or have an eye condition. If you can’t see too well, there is more chance of a fall.
Make sure your home is safe.
- Keep it tidy, so you don’t trip up over things. Throw newspapers and magazines away after you read them, because it is easy to slip on their pages. Don’t stack things on the stairs because you might trip on them.
- Don’t use small rugs on the floor, or fix them down with double sided tape.
- Keep the things you use most often on a low shelf so that you can reach them easily.
- Have a small stepladder that is sturdy and light ready to reach high shelves. Do not climb on stools as you may slip.
- Have a banister or hand rail put alongside the stairs for you to hold on to.
- Have grab bars installed next to toilets, baths and showers.
- Use non slip bath mats at the bottom of the bath and shower.
- Make sure that your lighting is bright enough to see by.
- Do not wear slippers or go barefoot in your house but wear shoes as they are safer
If you still have an accident in the home and it is not your fault, call the Grangemouth ‘no win, no fee’ solicitors as they may be able to help with compensation for any injury.
Our solicitors are really friendly and helpful, so if you’ve had a fall and want to claim compensation they are the people to turn to.
The free phone number to contact us on is 0800 689 0500 and from your mobile 0333 500 0993.
Our Grangemouth ‘no win, no fee’ team can start a claim just from details you provide over the phone, so the process is very simple and easy.
Date Published: 16th November 2014
Author: David Brown