Suffered debilitating symptoms of food poisoning? Make your food poisoning claims in Kirklees
Food poisoning can have particularly distressing and debilitating effects on people of all ages and all backgrounds. If you have been diagnosed with food poisoning within the last three years, and it was caused through no fault of your own, then you may be legally entitled to pursue food poisoning claims in Kirklees using a leading law firm, or Accident Advice Helpline.
What is food poisoning?
Food poisoning is the term given to a collection of distressing symptoms which occur following the consumption of contaminated foods and drinks. These symptoms include:
- Fever; and
- Stomach cramps.
What causes foods to become contaminated?
Foods may become contaminated through pathogens such as bacteria, viruses, and parasites causing food poisoning symptoms. These pathogens may be transferred to foods through:
- Poor standards of personal hygiene, such as a lack of hand washing;
- Poor levels of cleanliness in food preparation areas;
- Insufficient cooking of foods to the correct temperature and for the correct duration;
- Foods being stored at the incorrect temperatures;
- Foods being defrosted incorrectly; and
- Foods being refrozen when they have thawed.
Types of food poisoning
Bacterial food poisoning is one of the most common types of contamination, and may include:
- Campylobacter bacteria, which are found in raw meat and untreated water;
- Listeria bacteria, which are found in pre-packed foods and ready-to-eat foods such as pate, smoked salmon, and soft cheeses;
- Salmonella bacteria, which are found in raw and undercooked eggs and egg-based products, and undercooked poultry such as chicken and turkey;
- Norovirus, a type of pathogen which may be transferred to food products through cross-contamination, from human-to-human or human-to-food; and
- Parasites, such as Toxoplasmosis, which can cause foods to become contaminated as they grow in contaminated soil. If unwashed and poorly prepared, then the parasite may be transferred to humans and consumed.
Reducing the risk of food poisoning
- When reheating foods, ensure that they are piping hot and cooked through.
- Store chilled and frozen foods at the correct temperatures. Bacteria may reproduce at alarming levels at ambient temperatures, causing rapid growth of dangerous pathogens which are dangerous to health.
- Observe the highest levels of personal hygiene. Always wash hands thoroughly before preparing food, and after using the toilet.
- Ensure that raw and cooked foods aren’t prepared using the same utensils, and are stored separately in the refrigerator.
- Always wash salads and peel any produce grown in soil thoroughly to remove any parasites and pathogens.
Make your food poisoning claims in Kirklees count
Call Accident Advice Helpline and speak to one of our helpful advisers, who can notify you of your legal entitlement to pursue a no win no fee* personal injury compensation claim.
Accident Advice Helpline have in excess of 14 years’ experience of assisting people to claim their right to compensation using their professional team of injury solicitors.
To find out if we can assist you, why not go ahead and take part in our unique 30-second online test? If you want to discuss your claim in more detail with an adviser then dial 0800 689 0500 from your land line, or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile.
Date Published: 17th July 2014
Category: Location Posts