How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Fatal accident in the UK

    Have You Lost Someone to a fatal accident in the UK?

    Firstly, please accept our sincere condolences for your loss. Unfortunately, too many families find themselves in this situation in the UK.

    The accidents that cause these deaths can happen in many ways. It could be:

    • A car collision
    • A motorbike or bicycle accident
    • An accident at work caused by lack of health and safety
    • An accident at work caused by a work colleague
    • Medical negligence

    If the accident was the fault of anyone other than the deceased, then you are likely to have a claim for a fatal accident in the UK.

    The three year rule for fatal accidents in the UK

    Normally, as with most personal accident claims, you have three years from the date of the accident to make your compensation claim. However, in fatal accident UK claims there are some exceptions to how the three-year rule is applied.

    • If the injuries sustained mean that the victim does not die immediately but survives for a length of time up to three years after the accident, then the period for claiming is three years from the date of death, not the accident.
    • If the victim survived more than three years but knew their injuries were life threatening, and did not commence a claim, then the family are out of date for compensation after the death.
    • If the accident caused a mental disability the time period does not commence until they are no longer mentally disabled, and therefore might create a longer period in which to claim.
    • In the cases of industrial illness or disease the victim might not have been aware of the problem being connected to a particular employment until many years later.  The family have three years from the date of death to claim.

    The two year rule for fatal accidents in the UK

    If the accident that caused the death was on a ship or plane, the time period is typically two years, but it does depend on how the accident happened and the exact description of the vessel involved.

    Open Claim Calculator

    However or whenever the fatal accident in the UK occurred, because it is such a complex and time-consuming process at a very traumatic and distressing time, the family should seek the help of specialists to deal with their claim for compensation

    At Accident Advice Helpline, you will find friendly and compassionate advisers ready to assist you all they can. You can contact them on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone. Or you can complete our online compensation claim form if you wish.

    Whichever you decide, Accident Advice Helpline will take away the stress at a time when you will have more pressing matters to deal with.

    Date Published: 29th July 2013

    Author: matthew

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.