Selling a used car, even if you have had a car accident
It is much more difficult to sell a used car which has been involved in an East Lothian car accident, but it is not actually impossible. If the car has been repaired and only has very minor cosmetic damage, there is nothing to stop potential buyers picking up the car at a reduced price.
You do have a much better chance of selling the car for a high price if the car is in near-perfect condition, but no buyer looking at used cars will expect the car they buy to be in as-new condition. Whatever, the condition of your car, and whether you have had an East Lothian car accident in the past or not, here are some tips for selling your car:
- Clean your car. Even an older car, which may look a little dated, can still look like the perfect car to a potential buyer if it is sparkling clean and well-maintained. A perfect condition car which doesn’t look like it is in a high state of repair will put off potential buyers.
- Have all documents to hand. Buyers will always want to see these documents, to prove that you are the legal owner of this vehicle and that you have all of the information they need.
- Be prepared to haggle. People buying a used car are much more likely to haggle on the price than someone buying a new car. Expect to bring the price down a little lower, but do have a final price that you would not drop below.
- Offer a receipt. Even if this is simply a piece of paper which both you and the buyer have signed, this will offer them security if something goes wrong later on.
- Be honest. Never lie about the condition of the car before you sell it. If something goes wrong down the line, you will still be liable for this if you have lied.
Do you need to make an East Lothian car accident claim?
If you have had an East Lothian car accident then one of the ways in which you can help yourself out financially is to make a claim for compensation.
Call Accident Advice Helpline on: 0800 689 0500, or: 0333 500 0993 from a mobile to discuss your East Lothian car accident with the team and see what your chances are of making a successful compensation claim against the other driver.
If you do decide to make a claim, you will work with experienced injury lawyers who can work on your behalf to get you the compensation you deserve.
Date Published: 17th June 2014
Author: David Brown