Although a strong wind isn’t necessarily the kind of situation you would automatically think of to cause an East Ayrshire car accident, it is actually more common than you may have thought.
How to avoid a car accident driving in severe wind
For a start, strong winds are usually accompanied by rain, which makes the road slippery and obscures vision and even if the wind is just present on its own, the danger is that the car will go out of your control. On the motorway, or any other time you are driving particularly fast, you run a real risk of your car pulling out of your control and causing an East Ayrshire car accident. Here are some tips for driving safely in a strong wind and avoiding an East Ayrshire car accident.
- Drive slowly. High winds will surround the car and can also get underneath the vehicle, steering you off-course. Drive more slowly than you would at other times, so that you can keep control of your car and handle any problems more easily.
- Be aware of the cars around you. Even if your car is not being blown around by the wind, other vehicles may be blown into your path. Try to keep a distance from other cars as much as possible and always be prepared to move fast if you need to.
- Be prepared for slippery roads. Wind is very often accompanied by rain, and this will make the road slippery. Be aware of this and use your training for driving on wet or slippery roads alongside that for driving in strong wind.
- Don not travel unless you have to. The safest way to avoid accidents in strong winds is not to travel at all. Only make journeys which are absolutely essential. and postpone those which are not.
- Hold tight to your steering wheel. Your car needs to be held much more firmly, and you need to be ready to pull the car back on track if you are blown off course.
If you do get into an East Ayrshire car accident as the result of serious winds, then claiming compensation may not be an option. This is because it is rare that a compensation claim can be made if the accident wasn’t actually the fault of anyone else. However, if you are hit by a negligent driver, even in very strong winds, you may still be able to claim compensation.
Talk to us about your East Ayrshire car accident
The best way to find out whether you are able to make a claim or not is to call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile and speak to the team about what happened, allowing them to make a decision with your help.