Can you make a cycle injury compensation claim?
If while cycling you are involved in an accident with another vehicle, or you are injured because the road has not been repaired, then you can make a cycle injury compensation claim. The accident must have happened no more than three years before you make your claim.
What can you claim for?
Every cycle injury compensation claim is different, but there are general things that most people can claim for:
- Injuries to yourself, whether physical or psychological
- Damages to your cycle. Most insurance companies will repair your cycle if it’s economically viable. If not, they will usually pay the pre-accident value of the cycle, which may be less than you originally paid.
- Any travel costs incurred because you cannot ride your cycle to and from work after being injured (You will need evidence to support this)
- Damage to your clothing (Usually subject to a deduction for wear and tear)
- Reasonable private treatment costs
- Loss of earnings (You will need proof of this)
- Care and assistance costs
Do you need to prove the costs you claim?
Yes, the insurance company will want as much proof as possible. It is a good idea to keep all original purchase receipts for your cycle and accessories. Get a quote for repairs and replacement of anything that is damaged, making sure you use a reputable cycle shop.
Take photographs of the damaged goods and your own injuries.
Keep receipts for everything you have to spend as a direct result of the accident.Open Claim Calculator
You will need to prove your loss of earnings, which is fairly straightforward if you are employed and have wage slips. However, if you are self-employed, it is not so easy to prove and you will probably need to enlist the help of your accountant to show your losses.
How do you make a cycle injury compensation claim?
All you need to do is contact Accident Advice Helpline on our free telephone helpline number. We will ensure you have gathered all the necessary proof of financial losses, and you’re aware of any medical reports needed.
At Accident Advice Helpline, we are experts in dealing with all personal injury claims. We have been doing so for many years and we have handled countless cases for cyclists. We understand the cyclist’s needs. We will deal with your case professionally and proficiently, ensuring the best compensation deal for you, whilst making the whole process as hassle free as possible.
Accident Advice Helpline operates on a no-win, no-fee* basis so you’ll have no worries about financing the help you need. Dial 0800 689 0500 from a landline, or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile phone to chat to us today. Our initial advice is free.