If you’re looking for a compensation solicitor in Gatehouse of Fleet following an accident, let Accident Advice Helpline be your guide, with free, no-obligation help and advice.
Compensation solicitor in Gatehouse of Fleet
We have all heard plenty of information about road traffic accident claims and occupational accident claims. You may even be very familiar with claims for slips, trips and falls in the street. However, were you aware that you can start a claim for food poisoning with a compensation solicitor in Gatehouse of Fleet? You are injured by food poisoning even if there are no physical scars to show it. Food poisoning is an extremely unpleasant and potentially life threatening illness. Here are the top five facts relating to food poisoning.
Top five facts
- Food poisoning is caused by bacteria, viruses or parasites. It can also be caused by chemicals, but this is far more unusual. The most common cause of food poisoning in the UK is campylobacter, although salmonella and viral food poisoning are also common. The bacteria often divide and multiply on the food, so you can ingest large numbers. When these bacteria or viruses enter your body, they make you feel very ill. The most common symptoms are abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and fever.
- Food poisoning bacteria should not be present in food that we eat. If it is present and has made you ill then something has gone very wrong with the preparation or storage. There are very strict hygiene rules relating to how food should be handled, prepared and stored in commercial premises. If these rules are not strictly followed, food poisoning can occur and a claim may be started with a compensation solicitor in Gatehouse of Fleet.
- Your local environmental health department has a responsibility to collect information on food poisoning cases in your area. If they have many cases at the same time from people who have eaten at a particular food business (e.g. a restaurant or café), then they will suspect that there is an outbreak of food poisoning and will launch an investigation. Food poisoning outbreak investigations are complicated scientific activities, but the results may help with your food poisoning case if they show that a particular restaurant was to blame. The environmental health department may choose to prosecute the premises for food hygiene offences, but this is a separate legal matter.
- Most food poisoning illnesses get better themselves within a week or so, but some can result in serious complications and even permanent disability or death. You may lose a considerable amount of money if you suffer from food poisoning because you may not be able to work for some time. You may also have to buy in childcare or home help.
- Accident Advice Helpline can help you with your food poisoning claim. Ring our free helpline on 0800 689 0500 from a landline or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile and we will tell you how.
Date Published: 17th November 2013
Author: David Brown